Optimism is one of the most competitive Ethereum layer-2 scaling solutions
Optimism sent out a total amount of 20 million OP tokens to Wintermute’s layer-1 address by accident. Later, both realized that the address hadn’t been deployed to Optimism’s layer-2 address.
- Optimism disclosed that a hacker took advantage of the team’s technical negligence and stole 20 million OP tokens.
- Those tokens were initially granted to Wintermute for liquidity services.
- However, Wintermute had provided an address for an Ethereum (layer-1) multisig that they had not yet deployed to Optimism (layer-2).
- A hacker succeeded in stealing those 20 million tokens before recovery actions were taken.
- Wintermute promised to buy back all the stolen tokens and offered to accept the incident as a white hat hack for a specific period.